Friday 29 July 2011

The Goose (not Retief)


This is our 13th tee (championship tee) at De Zalze. This mother Egyptian Goose had 7 eggs under her. I only managed to persuade her to move when I took my driver and got within half a meter of her.
The EG is becoming a bit of a pest at golf clubs in general in the Cape. I first played De Zalze in 2004 and only noticed one or two. In the last 2 years I have noticed the numbers have been escalating.
The EG used to be classed as a protected bird, but I heard recently this may be changed to a bird in the pest category. Please correct me if I am wrong! Some of our green keeping staff and members have been trying to help to keep their numbers down by destroying some of the nests. It is important to remember that when you destroy a nest that you should leave one egg. If you destroy the whole clutch, the birds will simply move on to a new nest site an try for a whole new clutch of up to 15. But if you leave one, the birds will continue to look after the individual egg.

No comments: